We receive numerous calls from seniors needing rides to medical appointments. Either family members do not live in the area or, if they do, they work and are not able to take the time off for their loved one’s appointments. Then there are the visits to the pharmacy to pick up the needed medications — and the grocery store for the weekly food run — and the needs go on.
Transportation is an increasing need for seniors as many have recognized (or family members have recognized) that driving for them is no longer as safe as it used to be. And public transportation for a physically compromised older adult can be challenging at best. A Best Friend to a Senior can assist in this area by making a donation to support transportation for senior adults. Unfortunately, there are no volunteer opportunities in this area at this time.
If interested in financially supporting transportation for seniors, you may give directly to this cause with your tax-exempt gift to Friends of Gwinnett Seniors. Donations can be made:
- by check made out to Friends of Gwinnett Seniors and mailed to P.O. Box 1680, Lawrenceville, GA 30046; or
- by credit card through Paypal by completing the form to the right, selecting "Donate" from the dropdown box under "I would like to:" and completing the transaction at the bottom of the form.
A gift of:
- $100 can help pay for a dialysis patient’s trips for a month
- $600 provides a year’s worth of medical transportation vouchers, and
- $2,400 provides a year’s worth of vouchers for four seniors.
Photo by US Dept of Agriculture, license CC BY 2.0